Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Field Journal 7

Field Journal 7
Chapter 16 - 17 Review
Lester Beall


          After reading the chapters, I found the works of Lester Beall to be very interesting. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something about his style. I just like how his style is simple but conveys a clear message and how happy he makes me feel when I look at his work. I did some more research and found out that he had a technology oriented background as he played with ham radios and wireless sets. He had a Ph.D in the history of fine arts. He demonstrated clear use of typography and was highly regarded in the U.S and over seas. After looking at many of his pieces I began to recognize his works very easily.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/haus/jUlQegAX1Iyn8mPi7hok8bfWofbSxddqOc1VYaUWU6aAmKYd36v4bWoNR6Bh/beall_mailer-1.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1352872580&Signature=scBiuh8lf2dq2jJTeOdU1YXX5kE%3D

          Lester Beall's style is easily recognizable employing bright, bold primary colors with illustrative arrows and lines. He doesn't rely on a lot of words to state a his meaning. He uses great composition so even people who can't read can understand the meaning. I can see why this is one of his most famous and revered pieces. Have you ever heard of the word "jingoism"? Well, this wreaks of it.

http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/545005992375604168_JXfPkT3c_b.jpg

          Beall was interesting because he often incorporated a variety of media in his work like woodcuts and lithos. He would continually experimented with photographic effects and techniques. He was truly a great contributor to the modern movement in  America and made a great impression on me.


References:

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/lester_beall_american_graphic_design_pioneer__15809.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment